I was so excited the first time I discovered spaghetti squash. I ate the whole thing with some marinara sauce. It was fantastic. Each time I try it, I experiment with something new. What an amazing and fun vegetable. For this recipe, the first thing I do when I split the squash open is to gather all the seeds and toast them like pumpkin seeds. Just brush a baking pan with some olive oil, spread the seeds, and sprinkle with salt. I bake these in my toaster-convection oven at 350 degrees for about 6-8 minutes. Watch them and take them out when slightly browned. This makes the whole process of preparing this meal and adventure, not to mention all the fun when scraping the spaghetti-like strands of squash from the insides of the baked squash halves. It puts a smile on my face every time! Prepare this meal with your kids who will also enjoy the preparation process.
- 1 spaghetti squash (small) Look for a small one that is enough for 2-3 people
- 12 oz salsa (mild), Trader Joe's Salsa Especial Use a medium or hot according to your taste preference
- 1 can organic black beans, Trader Joe's
- 4 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated I use Bella Capra raw goat milk cheddar
- 1 tsp butter or ghee
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and lightly brush a baking dish with butter or ghee.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and lightly brush the inside and edges with olive oil. Place face down in the baking dish and bake for 25 minutes. The edges should be slightly browned.
- While the squash is baking rinse and drain the black beans and mix with the salsa in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until it is warmed and bubbly. Add half of the cheese and stir thoroughly.
- When the squash finished baking, let is cool for 5 minutes then scrape the flesh into a bowl using a fork. Hold each half securely with an oven mitt. Leave a thin layer around the edges.
- Toss the spaghetti squash, bean-salsa mixture, and cilantro together. Fill the two halves with this mixture. Top each half with the remaining cheese.
- Place the two halves in a baking dish that has been greased with butter or ghee. Put in the oven on broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!