You will love this immune-boosting, dairy-free cream of asparagus soup recipe!
Asparagus is one of my favorite spring vegetables (and we’ll talk about asparagus pee later). It is also the only vegetable my dog Sunny will eat and beg for! I even tried to trick her once with a green bean. Nope, she didn’t go for it. It’s crazy. I come home from the market and as soon as I take the asparagus out of the bag, Sunny is there waiting for her special treat. I usually ask her to “shake” then give her a piece. But today it was different. It was the first time I saw my 70-pound Labrador Retriever raise both paws in the air, knowing I was about to make my cream of asparagus soup recipe. She wanted her asparagus! Sunny must know asparagus is a healthy vegetable.
This Asparagus Soup Recipe Packs a Lot of Nutrition
- Asparagus is an excellent source of vitamin A, several B vitamins, folate, vitamin C, vitamin E, and vitamin K.
- It contains minerals such as phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, calcium, zinc, copper, selenium, and iron.
- Asparagus contains inulin, an important digestive support nutrient, and is a powerful antioxidant, providing glutathione.
- Glutathione is an antioxidant our body also makes to help us with detoxification.
- Asparagus is a good source of a bioflavonoid called quercetin. Studies show that the consumption of flavonoids may reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases, metabolic disorders (like diabetes), and some types of cancer.
While we are talking about asparagus, we should also address what is commonly known as “asparagus pee” or the unique urine odor after eating it. Asparagus contains asparagusic acid, which is what causes the urine odor, but because our bodies are all unique, not everyone can smell it! Don’t worry, it’s harmless.
When you buy asparagus, be sure to use it within 48 hours for the best flavor and nutrition. Chop off one inch of the woody end but instead of throwing those away, combine them with some onions to make a nice vegetable broth (that’s what I used for this soup recipe).
Cream of Asparagus Soup Recipe
- 1 lb asparagus chopped into one-inch pieces ((first remove about an inch of the woody stems))
- 1 cup sweet onion chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil organic extra virgin
- 3 cups vegetable stock or homemade chicken broth
- 2 tsp garlic minced ((or 1 Dorot crushed frozen garlic cube))
- 2 tsp ginger root minced
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk canned organic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp shredded organic coconut for garnish (optional)
- Over medium heat, sauté onions in olive oil for 2-3 minutes.
- When soft, add garlic and ginger and continue sautéing for another 2 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- Add asparagus (reserving some of the tips for garnish) and reduce heat. Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Place soup in a high speed blender with the coconut milk and blend until smooth.
- Garnish with the reserved asparagus tips and shredded coconut.