I was walking through the natural food market recently when I spotted some Sloppy Joe’s Mix from a company called Simply Organic. This caused me to pause for a moment. I felt like I was back in high school looking forward to the Sloppy Joe’s lunch. This is a food item that I have not had in a very long time. I purchased the mix and committed to making a healthy version of this iconic, American food.
Get Healthy Sloppy Joe’s Ingredients
This recipe is quick and easy and I’ve made it healthier. Here is what you will need:
- Lean, grass-fed ground beef – This is a healthier choice than commercial beef. Grass-fed beef contains more omega-3 fats and a better overall nutrient profile. Be sure to not overcook it since the meat can become tough.
- Onion – I love to use sweet onions in everything I make and this is no exception.
- Tomato paste – Buy organic tomato paste in a glass jar (no-salt-added). That is mainly because I make only a half batch of Sloppy Joe’s at a time (serves 2) so the tomato paste stores better in the jar. Also, this is a healthier storage option as metals (from a can) will not leach into your tomato paste.
- Sloppy Joe seasoning mix – I like the Simply Organic brand. This is the brand I spotted when shopping and it was what propelled me to make this recipe.
- Pita pockets – I love the Bfree (gluten-free) pita pockets. Of course, you can also use a regular or gluten-free hamburger bun. However, I like how the pita keeps this sandwich neat.
- Organic 3-Cheese blend – this is optional in case you are avoiding dairy. I like to layer the cheese inside the pita for a nice blend of flavors.
Make a Small Side Salad
To enhance the visual appeal of this meal and boost the overall nutrient content, use some dark green lettuce leaves, shredded carrots, and cherry tomatoes, and arrange them on the side of the plate. Don’t forget a few sandwich pickle slices (for the sandwich or the plate).
This recipe is so quick and easy! It also makes me feel like I’m eating some healthy “comfort food.” Enjoy.Print
The Healthy No-Slop Sloppy Joe’s Recipe
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main course
- Cuisine: American
1 lb. grass-fed ground beef (or ground sirloin) 85-90% lean
1/4 cup sweet onion, chopped
8 sandwich pickles (for garnish)
6–7 oz. jar of organic tomato paste
1 cup organic 3-cheese blend, shredded (optional)
4 pita pockets (I use the gluten-free Bfree brand)
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef and onions on medium heat until beef is thoroughly cooked and onions are soft.
- Drain this mixture and return it to the heat.
- In a separate bowl, mix the seasoning packet with 1 cup of warm water until dissolved.
- Add the tomato paste and mix well. Add this to the beef mixture.
- Simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Divide into 4 even portions (each portion will fill two halves of a pita pocket). As you are filling the pita pocket, layer the cheese within the sandwich and top with just a small amount of cheese.
- Assemble a small side salad for the plate (optional).
I usually make a half recipe (which serves 2). If I am eating alone, I store the other half in the refrigerator since this is an easy leftover dish.
Mix the seasoning, water, and tomato paste while the beef is cooking.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 238
- Fat: 8
- Carbohydrates: 14
- Protein: 25
Keywords: sloppy joe’s, loose-meat sandwich, beef sandwich